This morning I woke up craving chocolate (when do I not?) and instantly knew that breakfast would involve chocolate pancakes.
Since I already shared quite a bit of my weekend with you, this week for Marvelous in My Monday I am going to share the recipe that I came up with to satisfy my early morning need for chocolate.
The chocolate was a given, but the addition of peppermint was a last minute decision that I am very glad I made. I’m sure that I am not the only one who is diving headfirst into Christmas spirit a bit early now that Thanksgiving had passed. Regardless, these winter-esque pancakes are delicious no matter their context.
Chocolate Peppermint Pancakes
|Prep time||10 minutes|
|Cook time||6 minutes|
|Total time||16 minutes|
|Dietary||Gluten Free, Vegetarian|
- 3 tablespoons brown rice flour
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon oat flour ((use certified gluten-free to make this recipe gluten free))
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 egg white
- 5 tablespoons almond milk ((or other non-dairy milk))
- 1 tablespoon dark chocolate chips ((15 g))
|Combine all dry ingredients except for the chocolate chips|
|In a separate bowl, whisk together egg white, almond milk, and peppermint extract|
|Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until just combined|
|Fold in chocolate chips|
|Let batter sit for 5 minutes|
|Cook pancakes on a skillet on medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side|
|Optional: Drizzle with your favorite topping (I used a chocolate sauce made with cocoa powder, almond milk, maple syrup, and coconut sugar)|